Saturday 21 June 2014

I've arrived...

So here I am. After what was a massively emotional final week in the UK, I made it to Shanghai. I'm on a 3 year contract, working for a new car company which is hugely exciting.

The reason for starting to blog is there is so much going on and so much to learn that I can't put it all on Facebook, it's just not possible. So I thought I'd give this a go instead - let's see how long I can keep it up for.

It's definitely a culture shock being here, but not as bad as I expected. I think the biggest thing for me without a doubt is language barrier. Most countires you go to most people have a grasp of English - taxi drivers, waitresses etc. Not here. Or only in the more 'Western-y' kind of places. And as I am currently trying to not be that person and really experience everything Shanghai has to offer, I feel guilty for only knowing how to say 'hello' and 'thank you.' I've had my hotel name printed out in Chinese on countless pieces of paper and I take those with me wherever I go. Mandarin lessons start on Monday, so I'm hoping after that I won't have to be a rubbish Westerner who doesn't speak any Mandarin.

So far my first week has been - quiet. No nights out, no wild parties. I think it's safe to say I'm definitely in the adjustment phase. I'm a nightmare to walk with anywhere as I'm constantly gawping up at the buildings etc. Particularly where I work. It's here:

 
That's pretty damn cool. Of course, this image may have been Photoshopped as I have yet to see a day that clear. Even when it's warm and sunny, it's still kind of grey (probably due to the smog). As I'm currently staying on the 46th floor, on the days when it's cloudy and raining, I actually can't see out of the window - it's like I'm in the cloud.It's pretty weird.
 
Hotel has been great for a readjustment period but I'm ready to move out into my own place. There's two areas here: Puxi and Pudong. The heart of Pudong is the financial district which is where I work. Hard to belive they didn't start building any of Pudong until the early 90s, it was still fields before that. Now it's massive and is like a little city all of it's own. On the other side of the Bund (the river) is Puxi which is 'real' Shanghai. There's always lots of debate with ex-pats as to which side of the river to live, the general consensus being if you're married with kids, live in Pudong as the air's better and you may be able to get a garden. If you're single (ie me) then live in Puxi as all the nightlife is on your doorstep. So that's where I'm looking. Saw about 11 apartments today in various compounds but 2 stood out - both of which have 2 beds, 2 baths, one more expensive but better location. Both quite popular compounds so think I'm sorted either way hopefully. Ready to get the rest of my stuff together and really start living here! 
 
 
In terms of ticking things off a checklist, this week I have:
 
- been into a supermarket
- caught a taxi across the city by myself
- bought a Chinese Sim card for my phone
- had my ex-pat medical (which was very strange, you go through about 8 rooms and they do different things to you in all the rooms)
- Topped up my 'food hall' card to eat at the 'Super Brand Mall' (yes really) opposite my office. Massive bowl of soup and dumplings = £2. And that's expensive
- Had a traditional Chinese meal with my relocation agent (and it was grim.)
- Been apartment hunting
 
Things to do next week:
 
- go into a bar!
- go on the subway (it terrifies me)
- move out of this hotel and into an apartment
 
Things I've learned this week:
 
- Wine is expensive, even in the supermarket (£11!!!)
- Beer is cheap, particularly in the supermarket (about 20p a can)
- green men on traffic crossings mean nothing, the cars will run you over no matter what.
- becoming a vegetarian might be a good idea....
- taxis are ridiculously cheap - a 30 minute taxi journey cost me £6
- Internet here is horrifically slow
- No-one starts work until 930 in the morning (score)
- there's no such thing as central heating
- watching Red Dwarf on a Chinese TV makes it funnier somehow (if that's even possible)
 
Random things I've seen this week:
 
- Ladies doing some sort of dancing/aerobics class on the corner opposite my hotel every evening(apparently this is a cultural thing that happens all over Shanghai)
- M&S (very random indeed)
- Outdoor escalators! All over the district where I work. It's like working in one big outdoor mall.


3 comments:

  1. Nicola I think you're being so adventurous and brave! It sounds very exciting and a little bit scary. So pleased you've found a potential apartment already. Once you've moved in and met your expat neighbours you'll start to feel much more settled and at home. Looking forward to your next blog and good luck on the subway! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent blog Nicola, hope you continue to have a great time and keep us updated. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really enjoyed your blog, good luck with your apartment whichever you choose and watch what you eat xx

    ReplyDelete