Wednesday 27 May 2015

Coming home..



It’s official. My notice has been handed in, and I am coming back to the UK, almost a year to the day after I left for Shanghai. It wasn’t an easy decision, and there were lots of factors in play. Ultimately it came down to what was going to make me happy, and being back in the UK with my family and friends would do that.

Moving here was, without a doubt, the best thing I have ever done. I feel so different as a person. Despite  the bolshy exterior, I’m one of those people who had never travelled alone, never been in a restaurant alone, never been in a pub alone even! The fear of the unknown crippled me – which I think links back to my extremely control freak-ish personality – and actually coming here I even shocked myself! I’ve banged on about this a lot but I am so proud of myself for doing it, for doing something so completely out of character, breaking out of my comfort zone and going for something I really wanted. In the last year I have dipped my toes in the sea in Singapore, stood on the Great Wall of China (twice), seen the Terracotta Army, drank beer with strangers in Hong Kong, climbed a fort in Macau, eaten street food in Seoul, and stood on top of one of the tallest buildings in the world in Tokyo.

And of course, I have lived in Shanghai. One of the most vibrant, exciting, crazy cities in the world that I’m so happy to have been a part of for a little while. I have had so much fun here! Walking past the Pearl Tower every day on my way to work. Screeching along to Katy Perry songs at KTV after a lot of Coronaitas. Seeing the old people dancing in the park. Jazz festivals in the sunshine. Countless brunches and happy hours. Fantastic parks, museums and galleries. And most of all, the friends I’ve made, some of whom I’ll keep in touch with for life. Trust me, there’s a million things I won’t miss, but I am sad to be leaving.
It’s been a crazy year….

1 comment:

  1. You will definately miss it but will enjoy being back and starting a new chapter in your life, look forward to seeing you xx

    ReplyDelete